St John’s Church was the first Episcopal church in the Borders. The initiative for the building of St John’s came from Cecil, Marchioness of Lothian, who had become interested in the Oxford Movement. John Hayward of Exeter was commissioned to build the church and the main work was carried out by local tradesmen. Donations for the building of the church came from various individuals, including Queen Victoria, the Dowager Queen Adelaide, the Lothian family and other distinguished benefactors while those who donated large sums to pay for the church have monogrammed tiles located within the church. Lady Lothian laid the foundation stone on 14 July 1843 and in just over one year the church was completed and dedicated by the Bishop of Glasgow on 15 August 1844.
It is believed that William Butterfield was responsible for much of the ecclesiologically correct interior. The Rood Screen is of carved oak and dates from the foundation of the church; the figures were added later. The altar, sedilia, pulpit and font are made of Caen stone, a gift from Queen Adelaide A particular feature of the church are the beautiful Minton tiles in the Nave, Chancel and Sanctuary, which were a gift from Henry Minton. Some of the alter tiles are thought to have been designed by Pugin, the architect of the House of Commons.
The recent removal of the 1937 reredos revealed exquisite alter tiles and traditionally painted modern icons. The lychgate at the entrance to the church is by Butterfield and some of the graves in the churchyard are over a century old.
On the North wall of the church hangs the Second World War memorial. Lieutenant Tony Fasson, who was awarded the George Cross posthumously is listed (read further information about Tony Fasson in ‘Jedburgh’s Famous People’ page).
St John’s has a link with the Raphael Centre in Africa assisting deprived children. Click below to learn more about the Raphael Centre.
St John’s also helps the Petra Schools in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe. The Friends of Petra School is a charity established in the United Kingdom. The trust exists to advance the education of children and young adults from Zimbabwe and other developing countries, in particular the pupils and former pupils of Petra School, Bulawayo.
To learn more about this charity, click on the link below
To read further about St John’s church, please refer to The Scottish Episcopal Church of St. John the Evangelist, Jedburgh, Visitor Guide: ‘Welcome to our Church’.
Sunday: 9.00am Holy Communion 1970 Liturgy, 10.30 am Sung Eucharist.
Thursday: 10.00 Holy Communion
Bi-Monthly Sunday: 6.00 pm Healing Service.
Occasional 6.00 pm Sunday Sung Evensong--see noticeboard outside Church
The Church is open daily from 9.00am-5.00pm
Rector: Rev David Dalglish (telephone 07858140200)
Hon Assistant Priest: Rev John Grover
Other Activities:-Last Wednesday of each month:
MILK TOP INITIATIVE we collect milk tops which are recycled at St Boswells and all the proceeds go to supporting Palliative Care in the Borders our current charity is Marie Curie.Your contribution can be left at the back of the church or in the porch if the church is closed.