The Waterloo Monument near Ancrum in the Scottish Borders is a 150 foot tower, built between 1817 and 1824 to commemorate the Battle of Waterloo. It was designed by the architect Archibald Elliot, after the original monument designed by William Burn collapsed.
The monument stands on Peniel Heugh, OS ref: NT 653263, a hill between Ancrum and Nisbet, Roxburghshire. Although technically on private land, walkers may park at the Harestanes Visitor Centre and then follow the marked walk to the top of the hill. The tower is not open to the public, however a sign just beyond the locked metal grill at the base of the tower can be seen inside, warning that visitors enter at their own risk. Inside the Monument is a spiral staircase which leads up to the balcony at the top. The balcony encircles the top of the monument.
On 1 May 2011, a temporary zip wire was erected at the monument as part of a fundraising event for the Anthony Nolan charity. The zip wire, built by Vertical Events, is believed to be the longest ever set up in the UK and was 1,500 feet (460 m) long.
On 28 June 2015, a re-enactment of the Battle of Waterloo was held at Peneilheugh. Peter Snow narrated the story of the Battle as the Re-enactment took place. Welcome speeches were made by Lord Lothian, the Duke of Gloucester and Duke of Wellington. The Jedforest Instrumental Band played before the re-enactment, local pipe bands and military pipe bands also played.